Keto Drinks Recipes
Low-Carb Mexican Hot Chocolate (Champurrado)
Traditional Mexican champurrado is a thick hot chocolate flavored with cinnamon. Our low-carb version is prepared with smooth almond milk and rich cream. Grab your favorite book, a cozy blanket, and cuddle up with this decadent treat.
Recipe by Kristina Wetter | Photo by Nacho Troconis
5 g net carbs | 4 g fiber | 45 g fat | 6 g protein | 450 kcal
Prep/Cooking Time: 5 + 20 min | Easy | 2 Servings
• 240 ml water
• 1 cinnamon stick
• 2 tbsp coconut flour
• 1 tbsp cocoa powder
• 2 tbsp powdered erythritol
• ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
• 240 ml unsweetened almond milk
• ¼ tsp vanilla extract
• 240 ml heavy whipping cream
1. In a small pot, boil the water with the cinnamon stick in it until the water is reduced by half and turns slightly pink. Remove the cinnamon stick.
2. In a bowl mix the coconut flour, the cocoa, the sweetener, and the ground cinnamon.
3. Add the almond milk and the vanilla extract to the boiling water.
4. Incorporate the dry ingredients using a whisk or a hand mixer so that they dissolve in the liquid.
5. Add the cream and let boil until it thickens.
6. Serve the champurrado in your favorite mug.
Let the champurrado cook longer if you want it to be thicker and darker.
Decorate it with ground cinnamon and/or cinnamon sticks.